Wednesday, January 20, 2010

FFF (Finnish for Foreigners)


We are all taking Finnish. Chris is taking a Finnish course at the university and reports that the students have already taken two prior courses. His homemade flashcards helped him rocket up to this level.

Sophie is in S2 as it is called on her school schedule: Suomi as a second language. Most of her class is in FMT: Finnish as the mother tongue.

And I am in Finnish for Beginner's--right where I should be. We had our third class last night. In some ways our third class was just like the first and second class because new students keep joining. The repetition helps me as the sounds slowly become familiar.

Keisha suggested that I post about our fellow students. The composition of the class is eye-opening. As an American, I am used to feeling like the center of the world, no.... make that universe. My father refers to our boundary with Canada the world's longest one way mirror. We Americans have no idea what goes on in Canada or the rest of the world. But we think all eyes are on us.

Here in Finland, Americans are in a distinct minority. Keisha and I are the only Americans in the class. In fact, except for my friends who are married to Finns, there aren't any Americans around.

Here is the class roll of nationalities as given in Finnish. Can you tell what nationality is mine?

Zimbabwesta
Ranskasta
Espanjasta
Englannista
Australiasta
Vietnamista
Yhdysvalloista
Portugalista
Thaimaasta
Kanadasta
Kosovosta
Bulgariasta
Curacaosta
Italiasta
Venajalta
Irlannista

Give up? Well, Yhdysvalloista can also be said as USA:sta or Usasta or in slang usta.
Venajalta is Russian. Ranskasta is French. The rest is obvious.

If you want to study Finnish here is a great web site. Let me know if you are commencing your Finnish studies. I can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment