Sunday, March 28, 2010

Virvon Varvon!










With a passing glance Finland can seem very similar to the United States--you can watch the Young and the Restless; everyone is wearing jeans (although of different styles); almost everyone can speak English.

But there are cultural differences. For instance no one can understand the opposition to public health care among a vocal minority in the US. And then there is Palm Sunday! Back home I know my St. Paul's family is processing with palms into the church. Here in Finland, children are carrying decorated twigs from house to house dressed like witches, conferring a blessing and giving a stick in exchange for candy! Keisha and her family invited Chris and me and our young witch to join in the fun.

Now, grab a twig and repeat after me:

Virvon Varvon
Tuoreeks Terveeks
Tulevaks Vuodeks



1 comment:

  1. Hey! I am Leigh Ann's mother and I've just enjoyed reading your last few blogs. I am ashamed to admit, though, that you taught me a few things, mainly about the horrors of Andersonville. I am from Atlanta, but grew up and learned the state history of Tennessee. I never got to take Ga. history since I started there in the 9th grade. I had heard of it, but never learned how bad it was. I'm glad I know, because it helps with perspective. I did't know SC tried to sell their Confederate money either (how did I miss THAT???), but I wish they'd been successful, because we are broke!!! Thanks for all the information. LA has told me about Palm Sunday weekend and the witches, but the videos were very enlightening!

    ReplyDelete