Sunday, January 16, 2011

A bittersweet welcome to the sun

I read this article last night on Selkouutiset. The gist of the article is that the blue light is waning in northern Finland and the sun shone for the first time, if only for 10 minutes.

I remember when the days started to get longer when we were in Finland. I felt a little mournful because I knew I would miss the protective cover of the dark. My friend Mari expressed this same thought to me recently. You can feel very exposed in the bright light of day.

Winter and all its fun has finally arrived in New Hampshire just as the days are growing longer. We have been trying to cram our winter fun into this very short season.

And this season is growing shorter. 2010 was one of the warmest years on record. Snow and glaciers are melting at a rapid pace around the globe. You can read the New York Times here about the exposed mummies in the Andes. But the new Republican majority will do nothing to try and slow global warming. I guess the maple syrup lobby isn't sweet enough.

Kaamosaika on päättynyt Pohjois-Suomessa

Aurinko näkyy vähän kaamosmaisemassa.
Aurinko näkyy jo vähän kaamoksen jälkeen.
Kuva: YLE

Kaamosaika on Utsjoella ohi. Kaamosaikana aurinko ei nouse Suomen pohjoisimmassa osassa. Kaamosaika alkoi marraskuussa. Sunnuntaina aurinko näkyi Utsjoen taivaalla jo 10 minuuttia.


Kaamosaikana ei ole täysin pimeää päivällä. Silloin valoa on sen verran, että maisema näyttää siniseltä.

Pohjois-Suomen kaamosaika johtuu siitä, että alue on maapallon pohjoisnavan lähellä.

No comments:

Post a Comment